What is BOP?
Birds of Paradise is a theatre company based in Scotland that was founded in 1993 – you can find out more about the history of the company on this page. Below is our vision and purpose – this sets out who we are and what we intend to do over the next few years. Through our work and activity we want to help bring about positive change in the theatre and arts in Scotland and further afield. We do this by making theatre, creating opportunities for others to make theatre or develop as artists and by working with other arts organisations.
Birds of Paradise Theatre’s artistic vision is of a culture where disabled artists are recognised for the excellence of their work, celebrated for the stories that they bring to the stage and are a vital part of the artistic landscape of Scotland.
…is to be an accessible arts company that produces world-class productions and projects that place disabled artists centre stage and to develop future generations of disabled artists. BOP believes that disabled people continue to experience a lack of equality and considerable barriers within society, including the arts. Our work exists in part to challenge and address these.
We are the only professional, disability-led theatre company in Scotland and we exist to:
- make world-class, innovative and accessible work that embeds Creative Access and is made by disabled and non-disabled artists, writers and theatre-makers drawn from diverse cultures to reach a wide demographic nationally and internationally
- play a key strategic role in Scotland’s theatre ecology and wider arts industry by supporting the sector to nurture the next generation of disabled artists, performers and audiences through addressing barriers to opportunities and involving disabled people in these processes
We work across three key areas:
- New productions/co-productions with key partners
- Tours and retours
- Pioneering Creative Access
- Development of digital work
- Wraparound activity
- Audience development
- New opportunities for disabled professionals
- BOP Artists – discovering and developing new artists – actors, directors, writers
- BOP Young Artists – Providing development opportunities for young disabled people
- Online resources
- Training and consultation – our expertise purchased by others
- Proactive events – offered to the sector through training and sessions where we or partners identify need
- Partnerships – across the sector
- Access Scottish Theatre guide
We aim to be a dynamic theatre company. To address our vision and purpose we will adopt a Demonstrate and Support model that allows us to plan our work strategically, to be leaders and to influence others.
From now to 2021 we will work to meet the following outcomes:
- More people in more places (including rural and international communities) experience and have their perceptions changed through theatre by disabled people.
- People have increased access to a wider range of stories on stage.
- More disabled people have access to a full range of opportunities in the sector.
- People in the sector are more confident, skilled and knowledgeable about equalities.