If you identify as disabled and are interested in developing your skills as a playwright, then BOP’s new Writers Group could be exactly what you’re looking for.
BOP Writers Group is a collective space where playwrights of any level of experience will be able to come together to share their work with a supportive group of like-minded individuals. The sessions will be facillitated by autistic playwright Nelly Kelly.
This group will be a friendly place where you can try out different writing tasks to develop your skills and get feedback, thoughts and supportive criticism on what you’ve written and give the same to others.
This will be a group where it’s safe to try new things with your writing and to chat with other disabled writers about what works for them and what they’ve learned.
Nelly Kelly (they/them) is a trans, autistic, non-binary theatre maker. They work mostly as a playwright, dramaturg and drag performer. Nelly was a 2019/2020 recipient of the New Playwrights Award with Playwrights Studio Scotland. Nelly works regularly with Queen Jesus Productions and an ensemble of eight trans, non-binary and gender non-conforming performers.
They have written digital theatre for the BBC and National Theatre of Scotland and had work performed at the Traverse Theatre, Tron Theatre, in universities/colleges and off-West End theatre venues in London. They also work part-time as the Artist Development Co-ordinator at the National Theatre of Scotland, and find huge joy in supporting other artists at all stages of their careers
When and where will it be held?
BOP Writers Group will begin on Monday 18 April, 7pm – 8.30pm. It will then be held fortnightly, at the same time, until Monday 25 July. See below for the full schedule.
All sessions will be held on Zoom. The link will be emailed to you once your place in the group has been confirmed.
|Monday 18 April||7pm – 8.30pm|
|Monday 2 May||7pm – 8.30pm|
|Monday 16 May||7pm – 8.30pm|
|Monday 30 May||7pm – 8.30pm|
|Monday 13 June||7pm – 8.30pm|
|Monday 27 June||7pm – 8.30pm|
|Monday 11 July||7pm – 8.30pm|
|Monday 25 July||7pm – 8.30pm|
Who is eligible to apply?
Playwrights with any level of experience are welcome at the BOP Writers Group. You may have written a number of plays or you may be at the very start of writing your first play – but you must have a keen interest in writing for the stage.
If you are a writer of other artforms (such as literature or poetry) then this writers group is not for you.
Other eligibility criteria include:
- You must identify as d/Deaf, disabled and/or neurodivergent – click here to see how we define disabled
- You must have a home base in Scotland
- You must be aged over 18, by 17th April 2022
- People in full or part time education are eligible to apply
You must fit the above eligibility criteria to join the BOP Writer’s Group
What will be expected of me if I attend?
BOP Writers Group will be a collective space where writers will be sharing part-formed ideas or perhaps even personal insights in to their own lives. As such we expect that everybody who joins the group follows a set of principles:
- You do not divulge any material about other people’s work to people outside of the group
- The writers group will be an encouraging and supportive space. Feedback on others work will be encouraged and should be honest feedback, but should always be kind, respectful and supportive.
- Spaces for this group are limited, so we ask that if you are selected, you please try and make it along to all of the sessions. We understand that sometimes, things may come up that prevent you from attending a session here or there, and we can absolutely be flexible to this. But if you are repeatedly missing sessions, with no communication as to why this is happening, your place may be given to someone else.
- As part of the group you will work with the facilitator and other participants to make sure that everyone is given a fair amount of time to discuss their writing.
You will not:
- be expected to finish your play.
- be pressured into sharing any of your writing with the group that you don’t want to share.
- be guaranteed any additional work with BOP once the sessions end.
Will BOP Writers Group be accessible to me?
We will work to remove barriers that you may experience due to access requirements that you have. We want to ensure that the BOP Writers Group is a space that is as accessible as possible to disabled people.
When you have been selected you will be asked to complete an Access Requirements form. This will allow us to better understand what your access requirements are and what measures we will need to take to facilitate your involvement.
We also understand that finances can be a barrier for some people which is why BOP Writers Group will cost nothing for you to attend.
If your participation requires the removal of an access barrier that incurs a cost (such as needing a BSL interpreter), this is a cost that we are happy to cover for you.
How can I apply?
To apply please complete the following 2 steps:
1 – Complete an application form – linked via button below
2 – Complete BOP’s Equalities Monitoring Form – linked via button below
If either of these forms are not accessible to you, please get in touch with Callum Madge, email@example.com, and we will arrange another way for you to submit.
DEADLINE: 8am, Monday 11 April
The selection panel will meet during the week beginning Monday 11 April to discuss the applications. Applicants will be told if they have been successful or not by Friday 15 April. Everyone who applies will get a response from us.
The selection panel will consist of: Robert Gale (BOP); Nelly Kelly; Callum Madge